We combine theoretical and ideological dimensions with practical applications.
- Type: On campus
- Start: September
- Language: English
- Duration: 12 months
- Fee national: $9,483
- Fee international: $23,297
- Duration: 24 months
The School of English at Nottingham has long been at the forefront of research and teaching in the area of applied linguistics. This MA provides an exciting opportunity to work with leading world figures in the subject and to investigate English language in applied contexts. You will be introduced to the key ideas and concepts in applied linguistics and provided with thorough training in relevant research methods. This MA provides an excellent route into PhD study after completion of the MA. The principle of language study that we have established at Nottingham combines theoretical and ideological dimensions with practical applications; with a rigorous and principled approach.
The key features of this course include: a theoretical grounding in research methodology and linguistic description, one-to-one tuition with expert members of staff, teaching informed by active leading-edge researchers in the field, innovative and engaging teaching methods, and access to many online resources and flexibility in course content.
- This MA is convened in the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics and is among the most popular postgraduate courses of its kind in the UK
- The School was ranked 7th for English in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015
- In the world top 50 for English Literature, Language and Linguistics (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2014)
- 9th in the UK for 'research power' (REF 2014)
- The programme offers an excellent route towards pursuing a PhD
- Students who wish to apply for an ESRC PhD scholarship can follow the ESRC strand within the programme
- Hear from current students in our School of English Masters student videos
Our postgraduate students move into an extraordinarily wide range of careers following their time in the School. According to The Times, “English graduates have almost any career path open to them ... All of the big graduate recruiters look for communication skills.” (Clare Dight, ‘Degree Doctor…English’, The Times, 6 April 2006).
Conducting postgraduate work in the School of English fosters many vital skills and may give you a head start in the job market. Studying at this level allows you to develop qualities of self-discipline and self-motivation that are essential to employment in a wide range of different fields.
We will help you develop your ability to research and process a large amount of information quickly, and to present the results of your research in an articulate and effective way. A postgraduate degree in English from an institution like The University of Nottingham shows potential employers that you are an intelligent, hard-working individual who is bright and flexible enough to undertake any form of specific career training.
Please keep in mind, we try to keep the information on fuyak.com as accurate as we can but we can't guarantee that all information is 100% correct. So always contact the universities.
How can we improve fuyak? Leave us a note!