This course is designed for home or international students who wish to pursue a career in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) to non-native speakers of English.
- Type: On campus
- Start: September
- Language: English
- Duration: 12 months
- Fee national: $7,035
- Fee international: $17,587
- Duration: 36 months
The MA in Applied Linguistics for TEFL provides postgraduate-level training for students who wish to learn about the about the theoretical, practical, and teaching aspects of Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL), as well as providing competence and critical understanding of a wide range of aspects of the English language and English linguistics (sociolinguistic aspects of English, the grammar, sound system and semantics of English, the history of English, 1st and 2nd language acquisition, psycholinguistics as well as issues pertaining to English as an international language and bilingualism).
- EFL Theory: This module introduces the theoretical basis of teaching English as a foreign language, and examines the core areas and issues faced by teachers and learners.
- Foundations of Linguistics 1 and 2: These modules provide an overview of the discipline of language science. In particular, they cover key ideas, and methodologies in the study of meaning, grammar and sound as well as introducing students to the study of * Language Acquisition, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics and the History of English.
- Teaching EFL: This module introduces students to relevant teaching methodologies and equips them to evaluate andapply those methodologies. This is also a practical module where students observe actual teaching of non-native students and then do some teaching supported by a mentor.
- Second Language Acquisition: This module examines how a second language is learned, and the processes involved.
- Research Methods in Linguistics: This module aims to equip students with the necessary foundations and tools to design and carry out experimental research within linguistics, as preparing you for your dissertation.
The course is suitable for those who wish to teach English as a foreign language for various professional purposes across the globe. In addition to gaining class-room experience you will also have the opportunity to develop strong research and analytical skills as well as the ability adopt/use different strategies for communication and presentation in English in a range of multilingual and international contexts.
Although this is not a formal teaching qualification, it gives students who wish to go on to teach English to non-native speakers the theoretical and linguistics background they need as well as offering practical, classroom experience. Opportunities exist to teach in countries all over the world, e.g. in universities, colleges or private language schools. After successful completion of the MA in Applied Linguistics for TEFL, you may decide to pursue an academic career and apply for a PhD.
2.i undergraduate degree normally required in a relevant discipline and/or relevant professional experience. Applicants who do not speak English as their native language must pass the IELTS English test with a score of 6.5 in all four components. Students who have an overall score of 5.5 on the IELTS can take a summer presessional course in the University’s English Language Centre for Overseas Students (ELCOS) prior to beginning their MA.
Please keep in mind, we try to keep the information on fuyak.com as accurate as we can but we can't guarantee that all information is 100% correct. So always contact the universities.
How can we improve fuyak? Leave us a note!