The Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL) is a course-based (30 cu of coursework) graduate program designed to enhance the skills of English as a second/foreign/additional language teachers within Canada and from abroad.
- Type: On campus
- Start: September
- Language: English
- Duration: 24 months
- Fee national: $4,665
- Fee international: $6,997
The MATESOL program is for students who are interested in enhancing their understanding of ESL/EAL/EFL teaching and learning processes, mechanisms of second language acquisition, English language structures, and in developing their professional skills as ESL/EAL/EFL language teachers.
Students are expected to complete the program within two years of study.
- Four-year Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Arts honours in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, or an equivalent degree in a relevant area such as Education, English, Psychology or others.
- A minimum of 9 cu of undergraduate Linguistics courses (Ling 111.3, plus Ling 110.3, or 112.3), or, any structural Linguistics courses, such as Phonetics, Phonology, Lexicology, Morphology, Syntax, Semantics, Discourse, or their equivalents. Examples of equivalent courses include English Phonetics, English lexicology, Second Language Acquisition.
- Students not satisfying the 9 cu Linguistics or equivalent requirement can be accepted on a probational admission basis, and will have to complete the requirement in their first year of studies.
- A cumulative weighted average of at least 75% (U of S grade system equivalent) in each of the final two full-time years (e.g. 60 credit units) of the undergraduate program.
- Proof of English language proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English.
Please keep in mind, we try to keep the information on fuyak.com as accurate as we can but we can't guarantee that all information is 100% correct. So always contact the universities.
How can we improve fuyak? Leave us a note!