The overall aim is to give students a grounding in research methods and prepare them for independent and collaborative research in the field of linguistics.
- Type: On campus
- Start: March, September
- Language: English
- Duration: 24 months
- Fee national: $1,674
- Fee international: $1,674
The Master of Arts in Linguistics can be completed as a full time course (four semesters). Courses are taught in English. Correspondingly, the Master course is designed to substantially extend the students' knowledge base that they have acquired at the bachelor level.
The students target three areas among the following fields for specialization:
- Syntax, semantics, phonology and neuro/psycholinguistics
- Language variation and change
- Constraint based grammar
The Master program in Linguistics aims at qualifying students to give theoretically sound and empirically substantiated statements on various aspects of language and to apply their new knowledge and insights while carrying out an own piece of research. To this end, the students extend their theoretical knowledge base and refine the techniques of language description and linguistic explanation. Particularly, students discuss current issues in linguistics as related to their chosen specialisations aiming at planning and carrying out independent research.
Students who have completed the Master course in Linguistics hold the qualification for an academic career and may start a PhD program in Linguistics or in a related discipline. Linguists may carry out research in many fields of the humanities, social and cognitive sciences.
- The MA-programme linguistics offered by the institute for linguistics at the Goethe-University, is a programme in theoretical linguistics that is taught in English. It is neither a programme in English language nor in English linguistics. Therefore a BA in theoretical linguistics or equivalent qualification is required to join the programme. A BA in English language and literature, in English teaching, or English translation will not be sufficient to ensure successful application.
- Proof of English language skills (Niveau B2) by standardised tests.
Please keep in mind, we try to keep the information on fuyak.com as accurate as we can but we can't guarantee that all information is 100% correct. So always contact the universities.
How can we improve fuyak? Leave us a note!