This programme is for the mid-career professional and covers contemporary issues in education. The programme's specific focus is on the teaching of English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) with a special emphasis on how theory relates to practice.
- Type: On campus
- Start: September
- Language: English
- Duration: 12 months
- Fee national: $9,795
- Fee international: $21,319
- Duration: 24 months
Why this programme?
- This programme draws on the combined experience of the School of Education and the the University's long established English for Academic Study unit to deliver a strong research practice based degree.
- You will be encouraged to take a broader view of the links between classroom activity and approaches to programme design, teacher training, management and policy decisions.
- If you are looking for the necessary training to begin your career teaching English to speakers of other languages, you will be interested in the MSc TESOL.
You will take three core and three optional courses. You will also have the opportunity to investigate and produce a dissertation on an issue relevant to your professional development and teaching context.
- Language learning and applications to the classroom
- Descriptions of language and applications to the classroom
- Introduction to educational and social research.
- Advanced educational research
- Course design and practice in English Language Teaching
- Developing literacy
- Educational management and leadership
- Highly able pupils
- Language proficiency assessment and feedback
- Modern educational thought
- Social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Teaching English for academic purposes
- Which English? Sociolinguistics and language teaching
This one-year taught programme covers contemporary issues in education and central concerns of English Language Teaching to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at all educational levels. There is a specific emphasis on how theory relates to practice. Students are encouraged to take a broader view of the links between classroom activity and approaches to programme design, teacher training, management and policy decisions.
The programme is delivered by the English for Academic Study unit and the School of Education, which includes UK and international students from different countries and subject disciplines.
Career opportunities include positions as an English language teacher, course designer, test designer, course director and teacher educator.
You should have a 2.1 Honours degree or equivalent (GPA 3.0 or above) in English, education or similar subject OR ordinary degree, teaching qualification, CELTA (or equivalent). Students are also required to have 2 years work experience on top of their qualifications. We can also consider applications from graduates from other fields who have substantial TESOL experience and an evidenced commitment to professional development. IELTS overall score of 6.5, no sub-test less than 6.5 (or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification).
Accredited Prior Learning (APL): Students who have the DELTA or Trinity Diploma in English Language Teaching may apply for accreditation for prior learning for Language Learning and Applications to the Classroom, a core course of Semester 1.
Please keep in mind, we try to keep the information on fuyak.com as accurate as we can but we can't guarantee that all information is 100% correct. So always contact the universities.
How can we improve fuyak? Leave us a note!