With a strong emphasis on developing skills and knowledge that can be applied in professional settings, this intensive programme draws on knowledge about language, how it works and how it affects real-life issues.
- Type: On campus
- Start: September
- Language: English
- Duration: 12 months
- Fee national: $12,357
- Fee international: $26,146
- Duration: 24 months
This programme comprises two semesters of taught courses, followed by a dissertation. Four compulsory core courses provide a solid foundation in the fundamentals of Applied Linguistics, while the optional courses offer you the opportunity to explore your areas of interest.
- Introduction to Sociolinguistics
- Introduction to Discourse Analysis
- Issues in Applied Linguistics
- Introduction to Language Research
Optional courses may include:
- Special Topics in Sociolinguistics
- Language and Identity in Bilingual Settings
- Discourse Studies
- Second Language Acquisition
- Topics in Grammar and Discourse
- Global Englishes
- Corpus Linguistics
Note that, unlike other programmes in Applied Linguistics, one topic that we do not concentrate on is teaching pedagogy.
This programme has been designed to help progress your career as a linguist in academia or as a language expert in a variety of industries such as artificial intelligence.
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, preferably in linguistics. We may also consider your application if you have substantial practical experience as a language professional. All applicants must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of their English language ability:
- An undergraduate or masters degree, that was taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration
- IELTS: total 7.0 (at least 6.5 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT: total 100 (at least 23 in each module)
- PTE(A): total 67 (at least 61 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 176 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components Degrees taught and assessed in English must be no more than two and a half years old at the beginning of your degree programme. Language tests must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree programme.
Please keep in mind, we try to keep the information on fuyak.com as accurate as we can but we can't guarantee that all information is 100% correct. So always contact the universities.
How can we improve fuyak? Leave us a note!