This is one of two MSc by Research programmes offered in Linguistics & English Language. You should choose this programme if you wish to specialise in an area of applied linguistics or sociolinguistics.
- Type: Research, on campus
- Start: September
- Language: English
- Duration: 12 months
- Fee national: $12,164
- Fee international: $25,737
- Duration: 24 months
This programme offers students the opportunity to focus in detail on a chosen area of the subject, while still being able to take some taught courses. It is intended for those who already have a good background in Linguistics, typically from undergraduate study.
The main part of the programme will involve you writing a dissertation, and you should have an idea of the topic or area that you would like to write about when you apply. Students are given support in developing this topic during the year by an appointed supervisor and by dedicated training in research methodology.
Students are advised to take two taught courses (further courses may also be attended, but not for credit), which are offered from the wide range of subjects taught at Masters level within Linguistics & English Language. The final mark for the programme will be determined by a weighted combination of the marks for coursework and the dissertation. In some cases it may be possible to register for a dissertation only. Teaching will typically be in small groups, and supervision is organised on the basis of one-to-one contact with one or a small number of expert supervisors.
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject. All applicants must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of their English language ability:
- An undergraduate or masters degree, that was taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration
- IELTS: total 7.0 (at least 6.5 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT: total 100 (at least 23 in each module)
- PTE(A): total 67 (at least 61 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections)
- CAE and CPE: total 185 (at least 176 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE III with a pass in all four components
Please keep in mind, we try to keep the information on fuyak.com as accurate as we can but we can't guarantee that all information is 100% correct. So always contact the universities.
How can we improve fuyak? Leave us a note!